And it has been 4 days since my last post. I guess since all of the CP posts were rambling around in my head, I needed some time to decompress. (I promise you, my Toy Story 3 Review will be up in the morning). I wasn’t even planning on blogging tonight. Funny thing about that. I guess I have some things to talk about!
1) Thank you to all the fabulous guest posters AND commenter’s on the CP Awareness posts! If you missed them, please check them out HERE! It’s so great to meet other moms, a token dad and an adult living with CP. (Also, when there will be ONE more post of that series, once I get the questions out to her! She’ll be telling us about her granddaughter that has Athetoid CP, one of the rarest forms)
2) I had a rough day yesterday. March 23 marked the 10th anniversary of my grandmother’s passing. My wonderful aunt always puts a piece in the paper, if you want to read it, you can find it here. I was extremely close with my grandmother and it’s still surprising that she’s been gone as long as she has been.
3) We went to PT for Jillian yesterday and she did some more walking with Amber, our awesome physiotherapist. Seriously, we never had such good luck with physios before. Jillian used to start to cry every time she heard her past physiotherapists name. It’s really nice and refreshing to see Jillian ENJOYING it and actually ASKING for Amber. Also? She absolutely loves the playroom at Holland Bloorview, but would rather go see Amber. I think that speaks miles about the quality of care we’re getting there.
4) We went to see the good doctor today. Jillian’s weighing in at a hefty 25 lbs. She is also just a little under an inch taller than 3 feet. While we were there, Jillian’s pediatrician said he had a favour for me. When he began he sounded like he was going to plead his case to sway my decision. He mentioned there is a family who has a 6 month old with a recent CP diagnosis. The child’s family is having a hard time so he asked if I could talk with them. I said “sure” I don’t think he was expecting an answer so quickly, and kept telling me about the family. I really feel honored that he thinks I can do a good job with that.
5) Lauren made me feel like I was sucker punched in the stomach today. Since Adam and I decided to have children, the one thing I worried about was when one of the girls realizes that they see Daddy’s parents and not mine. (I obviously sound very self centered at the moment.) Today, in the waiting room, Lauren spotted a little boy who was between 11 and 13 months old. He was walking, with assistance from his mom. (Obviously that really cute just learning to walk, but looks like toddling thing) Lauren decides not to use her indoor voice and asks me “but why, Mommy? Why doesn’t Jillian walk?” For a moment? I was speechless, and of course now EVERYONE in the waiting room is looking at me. How did I miss THAT discussion? It never even crossed my mind to hear Lauren ask that. That was definitely a speed bump in my mothering skills!