Cheryl, you’ve done gone fallen off your rocker again! You’re already silly. Or special. Whatever term you want to use. While I was at Blissdom Canada, Poor Nolie had a cold. And no, I’m not saying that in a condescending way. I’m serious. She sounded miserable. She even took herself to the doctor to make sure it wasn’t anything MORE serious, like strep or some funky virus. While I was sprouting off my general thoughts on colds/viruses/illness I realized I sounded like a whack job.
Having a child that was born at 30 weeks gestation, she has a very fragile immune system. Every cold she seems to get travels to her lungs. Every cold also could mean a hospitalization for her. And call me silly, but I don’t enjoy spending days upon days at Sick Kids. For the first few months of her life, we were in the doctors office to receive RSV shots. Sadly, she didn’t qualify for RSV shots last and this year. There are certain qualities that they look for in order for your child to qualify again. I’m not saying that these shots gave me a sense of security, because they definitely didn’t! But now? When anyone around me is sick, I start acting like a mad woman. The good doctor thought that her compromised immune system would be gone by 2. Hm. Guess not. Let’s try for 3. Or even 5! We’ll get there someday!!!
So, for moms that are neurotic like me, you’re not alone. The thing is? Jillian is my SECOND child. I was NOT this neurotic with my first. Those were the good ‘ol days! You have a cold? Come on over! Let’s build this kids immune system! Ok, that part? I’m kidding, a little. Anyone else have anything to add to my list? Make me MORE neurotic during this cold and flu season- I DARE YOU!!
1. Wash hands every minute or so. Ok. I’m not THAT anal. But, I do have a bottle of hand sanitizer in every room in my house.
2. Cough into your elbow, PLEASE! or if you’re Lauren, just cover your mouth period!
3. Your kid is sick? No. I don’t want a playdate with you. Your kid is sick with green snot and a fever? NO PLAYDATE. And don’t just throw that on me as we walk in the door. That’s just rude.
4. If your kid is sick, or YOU’RE SICK stay home. Really. That isn’t rocket science. Maybe I’m just a baby when I get sick, but I don’t like to be trucked anywhere, and I’m sure your kids don’t either, unless you know, a cold could send them to the hospital like mine.
5. If you’re sick enough to be on antibiotics, give it AT LEAST 24 hours on antibiotics before coming around me OR my kid. K? Thanks. My sanity appreciates it. And so do my hands. Hand Sanitizers really dry my skin sometimes!